Today it is not only the railway which meets in Storuman, people and roads do too. A gateway to the mountain region and the key to the heart of Lapland, it is a town beautifully located amid deep forests and fantastic mountainous terrain.
The fishing is excellent, with over 2,400 lakes and the Umeälven river providing endless opportunities for outdoor pursuits. Some of which are within 500m of the railway station – great news for Inlandsbanan (the Inland Railway) travellers.
- 5,950 inhabitants
- Sami administrative centre and home to about 14,850 reindeer
- Station along Inlandsbanan railway
- Has snow from Oct – May
- Produces 33 times more electricity than it consumes
- Nearby Hemavan Tärnaby is northern Sweden’s largest ski resort
- Storuman is Sweden’s third deepest lake.
- Home to Sweden’s largest wooden church.
Utsikten viewpoint, the local museum and Stensele church
All within 5km of the railway station and easily accessible to visitors arriving via the Inlandsbanan. Also within walking or cycling distance (bike hire available).